MN AND NRW SIGN MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT
November 5, 2020
International cooperation on climate and environmental topics takes another step forward for Minnesota and Germany’s North Rhine-Westphalia. The CSM family made it possible. On November 5, 2020 Minister Ursula Heinen-Esser and Commissioner Laura Bishop signed an agreement to cooperate on “Environmental protection, sustainable development, and climate adaptation.” The inspiring virtual ceremony featured speeches by the two ministers, Mayor Kim Norton (City of Rochester), Ulrike Badziura (City of Iserlohn), Germany’s Consul General Wolfgang Moessinger, and U.S. Consul General Fiona Evans. Beginning January 1, 2021, the cooperation will run four years. “We have ambitious plans,” Minister Heinen-Esser explained.
The envisioned intensive exchange and mutual learning focuses on 7 areas:
• water protection and wastewater treatment
• environment and health
• exchange of experience for students in the field of environmental studies
• resource efficiency and cleaner production
• sustainability strategies at state level
• strategies and projects for climate change adaptation
• promotion of a circular economy
Both agency leaders are looking to the CSM group for specific projects and activities that will generate mutually beneficial and inspiring results. The ministers hope to participate in another virtual meeting with the CSM group in spring to learn about first initiatives.